This is a question I am continually asked over my carrier
“Where is the best detox place for me?”
This article is the answer to that question with personally recommended detox options around the world and the reasons why this detox system is the best in the world!
The first principle to the best detox place is “do no harm” and no system of medicine understands the possible harm of detox more than the traditional medicine system of India, known as Ayurveda.
The Cycle of All Creation, Including Disease, Starts with Vata Aggravation
The Ayurvedic understanding of the world and disease includes cyclical laws of the universe. These same cycles create the disease process from initiation to manifestation. The first of these is an initiatory cycle known as Vata. Vata is related to the beginning of all acts of creation, including the creation of disease, so could be thought of as the root of all disease.
This understanding from Ayurvedic medicine enlightens us to the fact, that when we experience more Vata type aspects of life, such as those that are present in a detox process, we can initiate strong disease promoting processes in our bodily tissues. This Vata, then influences the controlling forces of the body through the nervous system and the long term disease process may not play out for years to come, as the cycle of the disease comes to fruition.
Examples of these Vata type disease influences are loss, separation, fear, pain, deficiency, cold, dry, change, or virtually anything that aggravates the nervous system. As detox is a process of loss and separation where we forcefully promote the body’s evacuation channels. It can also strongly aggravate Vata, and in the long run create diseases in the functional and controlling forces of the body. It is therefore essential that your chosen detox place takes measures to reduce Vata and prepare the body for the removal processes which are going to increase Vata.
Essential Factors Needed for Safe Ayurvedic Detox
- Aligning your body’s daily actions with the proper rhythmic cycles of the Sun. This restores balanced function of the pituitary and pineal gland.
- Strong parasympathetic nervous system dominance with deep relaxation techniques that encourage healing and digestion.
- Warmed soup type foods to stimulate good digestive function, balance vata, and prepare the body for removal processes.
- Daily massage and oeliation to move toxins to elimination sites, balance vata, and prepare the body for removal processes.
- Ghee or the use of liquid warm fat in the mornings. This switches the body to a fats for fuel cycle which encourages a calmer nervous system. Coats toxins and protects the tissues from their free radical damage while the ghee moves them to sites of elimination. Also strongly balances vata in preparation for the removal process of Panchakarma.
- Panchakarma’s, meaning 5 different avenues of pulling toxins from the body. The avenues for toxin removal are through the nose, the bowels, the gallbladder, the stomach and mouth, or directly from the blood. They should always be chosen on an individual basis.
- Balanced blood sugar levels so limited juices, processed foods or anything that might spike the blood sugars.
- On site practitioner to individualise and adjust the program to you. At minimum, dose needs to be changed in order to perform removal processes without aggravating Vata.
The Benefits of Ayurvedic Detox if the Essentials Above are Covered
- Retunes the brains master control system, the pituitary and pineal glands, so hormonal control and enzymatic processes return to balance.
- Heals intestinal villi so absorption and digestion dramatically improve.
- Restores proper eliminative function of bowels, urinary, respiratory and sweat systems. If these aren’t working great then you are likely to build the toxins up again quickly.
- Balances hypoglycaemia and hyperglycaemia so energy is more consistent over the day.
- Cleanses the liver, flushes bile and restores the body’s ability to maintain a balanced blood environment.
- Unblocks and restores flow to the lymph and its glands, brining lustre to the skin and hair.
- Resets the digestive fire so that balanced hunger and thirst can return to ease
It is important to note that many detox systems either don’t go far enough, or go way too far in one area. Often they focus on the elimination of toxins far and above restoring the balanced functional principles of the body, which should always be our highest focus. After all, it’s usually an imbalance of these functional principles that created the toxin build up in the first place.
My List of Recommended PanchaKarma Options
This list is short specifically because although there are many benefits to detox and many great places the world over. To “do no harm” is my priority! Therefore I only recommend places that have been personally recommended from the first hand experience of professionals I trust. This list will continue to grow over time and please write your comments below of any first hand panchakarma experience you have had.
The Vitality Now Detox System designed by me has a special focus on enhancing the digestive and transformative force of the body, known in Ayurveda as Agni. The unique thing about Vitality Now is that it is not just an individualised cleansing and detox retreat. It includes daily life and wellness education classes so you leave the detox with the wisdom to sustain the vitality we create together. Unlike most Indian Panchakarma programs, Vitality Now is limited to a small group that does the program together. This increases the personalisation with plenty of opportunities to pick my brain, and a special group atmosphere as we bond and support each other as a team. Vitality Now is also held in various parts of the world to make it more accessible to a world wide audience. More information can be accessed here.
The Amrutham centre is a owned and operated by a colleague of one of my favourite Ayurvedic mentors. It is a small husband and wife team, and offers traditional Panchakarma processes in a country setting of India. Although the website is written in German, it has a google translate feature on the right hand side of the page. It is located in Bangalore, in southern India near Tumkur, about two hours by car. Aside from the private rooms, it has a kitchen building, meditation building and a farm where they source their food and herbal remedies.
Poonthottam literally means “Flower Garden”. The Asram is set in the luscious green, healing landscape of Kerala’s verdant Kulakkad hill region. It was recommended to me from the founder of Byron Bay Botanical and Medicinals, who regularly goes back to receive his Panchakarma treatments there. Although it is a larger scale than Amrutham with many doctors, he feels that it does not loose much of the personal feel.
Raja Healthy Acres
Rajah Healthy Acres is an Ayurvedic hospital with the facilities of a resort, situated in the countryside of Kerala in India on a vast hilly terrain of over 180 acres. They have a vast array of room options across the land which can suit all budgets. The hospital offers treatment for various illnesses with a large number of doctors. They are also a licensed manufacturer of several Ayurvedic medicines which are export quality and also imported to Australia. This one was recommended to me by Jay, The Eumundi Medicine Man, who has a thriving school of Ayurveda and is Australia’s largest importer of Ayurvedic products.
If you would like to co-create a Vitality Now Cleanse in your part of the world. Then I offer people the opportunity to organise an event and host me in a location of your choice. Those with interest please send in your request with details of the possible venue and your promotion plan to email@example.com
Wishing you Health and Prosperity,